FalconFocus: Twenty Things “I think” about the Falcons’ Offseason
I’m in a speculating kind of mood today so I thought I’d jot down some things I think will happen this offseason. These aren’t necessarily things I want to see happen, although some are (like No. 10 and No. 20, for instance).
It’ll be interesting to see how badly I missed the boat on some of these…
1. I think that without a pick in the first round this year, Thomas Dimitroff will address the left tackle position in free agency…
2. …and I think that free agent left tackle should be Jared Gaither.
3. I think the Falcons will re-sign either Curtis Lofton or Brent Grimes, but not both…
4. …and I think it’ll be Lofton that is brought back, seeing as how he, Chris Owens and Dominique Franks were all drafted by Dimitroff. (If the Falcons allowed Grimes to walk, I’m sure either Owens or Franks would get the nod to replace him.)
5. I think either John Abraham or Robert Mathis will be the team’s starting right defensive end next season.
6. I think the Falcons will part ways with Kroy Biermann and make Lawrence Sidbury their No. 3 end for 2012.
7. I think Todd McClure’s days with the Falcons are likely over and that Joe Hawley will be the starting center in 2012.
8. I think there’s a very realistic chance that Ovie Mughelli has played his final down in Atlanta as well.
9. I think the Falcons will address the right guard position in the draft, although I wouldn’t be surprised if they signed a veteran to compete with Mike Johnson. Either way, I expect Dimitroff to be frugal at the position.
10. I think Sam Baker will be among the team’s cuts this offseason and if he’s not, then I think the Falcons are insane if they believe he can resurrect his career as a guard.
11. I think the Falcons will find their future tight end in either the second or third round.
13. Despite the wishes of some fans, I think Thomas DeCoud will once again be the starter at free safety next year…
14. …but if DeCoud isn’t brought back, I think the Falcons will sign free agent Reggie Smith to take his place.
15. I think Harry Douglas is the least of the Falcons’ concerns this offseason. If he’s back, great, I’d love to see Dirk Koetter actually use him (unlike Mike Mularkey). But if he’s not, then the Falcons will have plenty of other options for the No. 4 receiver in their offense.
16. I don’t think Michael Turner is going anywhere for at least another year.
17. This should be obvious but I don’t think Dunta Robinson is either.
18. I don’t think Channing Crowder will be in a Falcons’ uniform next season. If the Falcons don’t re-sign Lofton, adding another two-down linebacker to complete with Akeem Dent makes little sense.
19. I think Peria Jerry has one more year to prove that he can be, at the very least, a more valuable asset than he has been.
20. I think my dream offseason would consist of the Falcons re-signing Grimes, Lofton and Abraham, cutting Baker, signing Gaither and Mathis (yes, even with Abe back, as it’s never a bad idea to stock up on pass rushers), and drafting a tight end that can beat opponents down the seam. If those acquisitions happened, I wouldn’t mind in the least if Mike Johnson or a rookie second-round pick started at right guard and DeCoud was back at free safety, as long as his deal was inexpensive. Is all of that realistic? Probably not. But it’s my dream, damn it…
What are some of your “I thinks?”
The Man In Black